What is the difference between iOS & Android hearing aid support?

paul

Jul 27, 2021, 12:13:44 PM7/27/21
The question here is _what_ is the factual difference between the two
systems in terms of hearing aid functionality that you feel is important?

In the Apple newsgroups yesterday, in an attempt to answer the challenge of
naming a single app functionality on iOS that isn't already on Android,
someone had suggested native hearing aid support as being only on iOS.
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/faXxDQ57K2I/m/X-P7c8tOBQAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/faXxDQ57K2I/m/RTZZCdJABQAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/faXxDQ57K2I/m/3qKmDU8tBQAJ>
<https://groups.google.com/g/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/c/faXxDQ57K2I/m/VjdnqhIhBQAJ>

However, upon closer inspection, it seems native hearing aid support isn't
one of those functionalities that is only on Android and impossible on iOS.

Yet, it's an interesting topic, which I ask here of anyone who is
purposefully helpful who happens to use hearing aids (I don't) who also uses
them on both Android & iOS (as most of the articles on the net are dated).

I suspect the major difference between Android & iOS in terms of hearing
aids is that Apple uses a closed approach while Android uses an open one.

I also suspect that on Android, the market will provide far more
functionality (for a variety of obvious reasons) than will Apple - but maybe
not, as Apple (being a closed system) has had a head start on Android.

The question here is _what_ is the factual difference between the two
systems in terms of hearing aid functionality that you feel is important?

To help out, in the sig are some references which came out of the thread on
the Apple newsgroup trying to come up with a functionality that is on iOS
but not already on Android (nobody has ever found a single one yet).

Please advise if you're (a) purposefully helpful and (b) knowledgeable.
--
(Note: I use the word "native" because the OP did, but I don't see why that
matters in terms of functionality on one platform impossible on the other.)

Most references on hearing aids are dated though.
<https://source.android.com/devices/bluetooth/asha>
<https://android-developers.googleblog.com/2018/08/streaming-support-spec-for-hearing-aids_16.html>
<https://www.hearingtracker.com/news/google-android-q-live-caption-feature-is-a-killer-app>
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.accessibility.soundamplifier>
<https://www.razmobility.com/assistive-technology-blog/analysis-of-pixel/>
<https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9393002>
<https://standards.ieee.org/standard/C63_19-2011.html>
<https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9426888>
<https://www.engadget.com/2019-02-04-google-android-accessibility-deaf.html>
<https://www.truhearing.com/getstarted/using-your-hearing-aids-with-a-smartphone>

paul

Jul 28, 2021, 1:09:40 AM7/28/21
Jolly Roger wrote on 27.07.2021 18:59
> So sad.

While the apologists can't contribute on-topic technical value to any
thread, the _adult_ goal is to outline factual iOS & Android differences.

Here's the first hit when I searched for scientific iOS/Android comparisons:
*Speech recognition apps for the hearing impaired and deaf*
<https://computationalaudiology.com/ai-speech-recognition-apps-for-hearing-impaired-and-deaf/>

It appears to be dated to 2020 (which is old for hearing impaired apps).
But their pedigree is scientific so it's worth learning from them:
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Donders Institute for Brain,
Cognition and Behaviour, Radboud University Medical Centre Nijmegen

These medical professionals tested four apps for speech to text accuracy.
1. Ava (iOS, Android)
<https://www.ava.me/>
2. Earfy (iOS, Android)
<https://www.earfy.net/home/attachment/earfy-made-for-android-and-ios/>
3. Live Transcribe (Android)
<https://ai.googleblog.com/2019/02/real-time-continuous-transcription-with.html>
4. Speechy (iOS)
<https://speechy.app/>

The test was Dutch to English (among other things), so it wasn't an easy
test, where they concluded "no app stands out from the others in terms of
performance".

This is one datapoint, which basically says it doesn't matter if the app is
on iOS or Android, it works about the same (which isn't surprising to me).
--
Alan Baker, Chris, Haemactylus, Joerg Lorenz, Jolly Roger, Lewis,
nospam, Rod Speed, Savageduck, Wade Garrett, Wolffan, Your Name, et al.